Poetry weaves magic and can charm us all. So when Irshad Kamil, poet & master lyricist of Hindi films, decides to create India’s first poetry band, its work is worth watching out for. Irshad has skillfully carved a space for his kind of film lyrics- poetic, melodic and yet conversational. Not one to arm his songs with heavy words, but let them breathe and grow into the music, Irshad’s brand of poetry carries forward with The INK Band. The band performs verses recited by Irshad interspersed with singing, and music, making for unusual but easy listening.
Launching the video on his social media handles, Aanand wrote: I never miss a chance to listen to Irshad Kamil’s poetry, you shouldn’t either! Here’s presenting #TheInkBand’s second song…AISE NA DEKHO.”
Having performed at events and live gigs since 2015, and has garnered a tremendously positive response, The INK Band is currently in the process of releasing eight music videos consisting of Irshad’s non-film songs. This collective will form Season 1 and subsequent Seasons will follow. While the first video, ‘Vo Ladki’ was launched digitally on World Poetry Day (21st March) by the Academy Award-winning maestro A R Rahman, the second song- ‘Aise Na Dekho’ was released TODAY by Irshad’s long time friend and frequent collaborator, the master storyteller- Aanand L Rai.
Speaking about this collection, Irshad says, “The INK Band reflects simple, conversational songs and poems with music. We have built an easy connect with young listeners and poetry aficionados across all age groups because what we do makes for easy listening, much like in a college jam session! We will focus on my non-film poetry to offer something fresh to our audience.”
Each of these songs will also be available for radio listeners on Fever 104 & My FM in a weekly program called Cafe Irshad: ft. the INK Band and will soon be available for download on digital music stores also. With the magic of poetry and the melody of music coming together for this project, The INK Band is set to spark our imagination and entertain in the spirit of poetic beauty.
Apart from Irshad, members of The INK Band include:
· Prajakta Shukre – Prajakta shot to fame as a finalist on Indian Idol Season 1. She is now one of the leading playback singers, in the Indian film industry.
· Agnel Roman – Agnel is a music composer who has scored for Films, Ads, TV, Documentaries, Short Films and many more. He is a Guitarist & also plays other String Instruments.
· Ragini Shankar- Ragini, ace Indian classical violinist began her training in North Indian Classical Music at the tender age of 4 under the tutelage of her exemplary mother Dr. Sangeeta Shankar and illustrious grandmother, Padmabhushan Dr. N Rajam, renowned violinists of the country
· Ankush Boradkar- Ankush, a self-taught Pianist and Flautist, currently works as a Freelancer Music Programmer.
· Deepanshu Pandit – Deepanshu Pandit is a young playback talent of the Hindi film industry. He shot for fame for his song Chhil Gaye Naina in NH10.